Looking for a quick and easy make-ahead breakfast burrito recipe? These freezer breakfast burritos have become one of my favorite meal prep staples during pregnancy and busy seasons of motherhood. They're budget-friendly, packed with protein, freezer-friendly, and perfect for quick breakfasts on hectic mornings. They're also blue-collar husband approved, making a filling option for anyone heading out the door for a long day of work.
I originally created these make-ahead breakfast burritos to pack for my husband's breakfasts while he was at work. They were easy for him to eat in the truck on his morning commute or quickly heat up before a long shift. Before long, he started sharing them with his coworkers, and the burritos developed a bit of a cult following. Eventually, the men at his shop were placing weekly orders for homemade freezer breakfast burritos.
Now that I'm preparing for Baby #2, I don't make burritos to order quite as often, but I still try to keep a stash of these breakfast burritos in my freezer at all times. They're filling, packed with protein, budget-friendly, and incredibly convenient for busy mornings.
Whether you're meal prepping for a new baby, feeding a hardworking spouse, or simply looking for an easy freezer breakfast recipe, these make-ahead breakfast burritos are one of our family's favorite grab-and-go breakfasts.
Breakfast Burritos
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 10+ burritos
Ingredients of Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos:
- Approximately 18 eggs OR a whole carton of Egg-Beaters (add more or less depending on how "eggy" you like your burritos)
- 10 large burrito-sized tortillas
- 6oz (half a jar) of Trappy’s Hot Jalapeños (half a jar, drained)
- 14 oz (half a bag) frozen hashbrowns O’Brien (with peppers and onions)
- 32 oz (three rolls) spicy breakfast sausage
- 10 oz shredded cheese
How to Prepare Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos:
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over high heat.
- Once well-browned, stir in frozen hashbrowns.
- Continue over high heat until they begin to heat through and soften.
- Once hashbrowns are heated through and well incorporated, stir in Trappy’s jalapeños.
- Crack eggs (more or less as you see fit) and pour into the skillet with the rest of the ingredients.
- Continue to stir until the eggs are approximately 95% cooked, then remove from heat. (The residual heat will continue to cook the eggs.)
- Immediately add your shredded cheese and stir into the mixture.
- Continue stirring to allow the cheese to fully incorporate into the entire mix.
- Warm your tortillas (you can do this on the stovetop or in a microwave), and fill them. I like to use a giant cookie scoop to do this.
- Enjoy fresh and hot or reheated from frozen in the microwave.
Breakfast Burrito Storage and Reheating:
To store these burritos, allow them to cool a slightly before wrapping them in parchment/foil and freezing. (I've had good luck with just foil, but adding a layer of parchment can prevent the leeching of metals if that's something that concerns you for long-term storage.)
The burritos should keep in the freezer for up to 3 months, but they've never lasted that long around here!
To reheat, wrap in a slightly damp paper towel and heat for 2+ minutes in the microwave.
One of the many reasons I love these burritos is because they are insanely easy to make in bulk. (In fact, I typically make them in batches of 20 instead of 10, but I halved the recipe for y'all because I know most people aren't going to make that many at once.) I often prepare them in bulk for fundraisers or as a treat to send to my husband's workplace. But they are also amazing to keep in the freezer for busy mornings.
I'm excited to start prepping these for my freezer before Baby #2. These will absolutely make slow mornings a lot easier on me, especially when chasing after a toddler and a newborn.



Post a Comment